Hyderabad: Actor Aamir Khan did it for his movie ‘Dangal’ and lost 26 kg in just five months. From 98 kg with a 38 per cent body fat, the actor brought his weight down to 72 kg with just nine per cent fat. The incredible body transformation of the actor had the internet buzzing and kindled hopes for many who struggle with weight issues. Is it possible for everybody to lose weight like him?
Here are a few pointers from nutritionists and athletes to lose weight properly:
1. Don’t be under the impression that you can be Aamir Khan by losing 20 kg in few months. Remember, before putting on weight, the actor was fit and is accustomed to a disciplined work ethic. So, keep goals realistic and strive towards them.
2. Realise that overweight persons struggle to find inner discipline, vital to maintain ideal body weight. A well thought out exercise and diet plan has to be followed meticulously for good results.
3. Cut down on calories but increase protein intake to retain muscle mass. Muscles burn calories even when a person is resting. In balanced diet, protein intake typically is 15 per cent but can be increased to 25 per cent.
4. Increase the intake of vegetables and fruits in the diet. While cutting on carbs, portion of vegetables, salads and fruits must be increased.
5. Try to find ideal exercise that suits individual needs. Be it walking, exercises, cycling or lifting weights, aim should be to identify a physical activity to burn calories.
6. Ideally, one should exercise for 40 to 45 minutes per day. However, not everybody can take that kind of physical strain on the first day. Gradual progression of stress in terms of more physical activity should be added.