Banana is one fruit that you are sure to find on most dining tables any given day. And there must have been countless number of times you might have thrown them out due to over- ripening. Instead of chucking them, use the bananas to make a delicious banana cake, suggests NanditaShyam. Great as a tea time snack, kids are sure to come back for more.
Preparation time: 20min
Baking time: 30min
Makes: 1 loaf
All purpose flour- 2 cups
Baking soda- 3/4tsp
Butter softened- 1/4cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Mashed banana- 1-1/4cup
Thick buttermilk- 1/4cup
Coconut milk- 1/4cup
Desiccated coconut- 1/2 cup+ 1tbsp
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Sift the flour along with the baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar well. Add the mashed banana and butter milk and beat well.
- Stir in the coconut milk and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and mix gently till well combined
- Spoon the batter into a greased 9X5 loaf pan and sprinkle a table spoon of the desiccated coconut on top.
- Bake at 180C for 40min or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10min. Remove from the pan and cool the bread completely on a wire rack.
Note: This banana coconut bread can either be served plain or it can be dressed up with some vanilla or lime glaze. It can be served as a dessert or for breakfast or as a quick snack.